With the popularity of raw and low-carb meals, zucchini -zoodles (aka courgette or courgetti) is a popular whole-food pasta alternative. Char-grilled Zucchini ribbons with Cashew cheese & Pine nuts is a WFPB – no oil salad, fresh and bright, totally delicious. It uses charring gently softens the zucchini ribbons adds flavour. Add freshly podded broad beans, smooth zesty cashew feta and a scattering buttery toasted pinenuts with some greens and you have a delicious light lunch or make a large platter for sharing (The flowers are optional, I just like the colour )
Ingredients – per person:
- 1 medium zucchini (courgette)
- 20g cashew cheese – or other non-diary cheese of choice, preferably crumbly
- 1/4 C fresh broadbeans – podded, or defrosted frozen broadband
- 1/4 C wild rocket or other flavoursome green leaf
- 1 Tbsp toasted pinenuts
- Mint leaves and violas for garnish
- Dressing – Saffron cashew yoghurt or zest and juice of half a lemon or dressing of choice
Wash your zucchini and trim off the stem. Using a potato peeler, peel off ribbons, you should get about 16 per Zucchini.
Heat you grill plate or frypan, there is no need for oil if the pan is hot. To make a nice char-grilled pattern, place the ribbons at an angle opposite to the griddle ridges. When you can see the dark grill lines through your ribbons remove and place in a single layer on a board or tray to cool.
Make your salad in layers. A layer of zucchini, scatter on some broad beans, wild rocket, crumble or cube some cashew cheese, drizzle on some dressing than a sprinkle of pinenuts. Continue building layers, until you have used all your ingredients. Garnish with violas and mint leaves.
Chefs Tips – double podding broad beans isn’t essential, but it does remove the bitterness that can be present in larger beans, which some people find unpleasant.
How to Double Pod Broad beans:
- If fresh, shell the beans (remove from their pods)
- If using frozen broad beans, put them in a bowl of cold water and leave to defrost.
- For fresh broad beans, bring a small pot of water to the boil and add the broad beans and cook for approximately 2 minutes and then drain.
- Place the broad beans into a bowl of cold water.
- Pop the broad beans out of their skins by gently squeezing one end.